military discharges - East Haddam

  • Town Office Building
    P.O. Box 385
    1 Plains Road
    Moodus, CT 06469
    View us on the map

  • Town Clerk > Miscellaneous > Military Discharges

    military discharges


    Military Records

     To receive a veteran’s exemption on the assessed value of your real or personal property, you must file your original DD-214 certificate (separation papers from active duty) in the Town Clerk’s office. You must file by September 30 to receive credit on the following year’s tax bill. There is no fee and application is required. A certified copy of your DD-214 previously filed with another town will be accepted if an original is not available.

    Determination of eligibility for tax credits is made by the Assessor Office.  To qualify for these benefits, you must have served during a time of war.  

    Military personnel classified as “active duty during wartime” may also be eligible for a tax credit.  The Tax Assessor should be contacted directly for questions regarding active duty status.

    Duplicate copies of DD-214's may be obtained by contacting the National Personnel Records Center, at 1 (800) 827-1000 and request Form 180. Or you can visit their website at "". They can be reached by e-mail at "".


    Municipal Veteran Service Contact

    Emmett J. Lyman
    First Selectman's Office
    PO Box 385, 1 Plains Road
    Moodus, CT 06469